Saturday, July 21, 2007

Rashad McCants NBA Player, 3rd Annual Shoot For The Cure Breast Cancer Walk In Los Angeles, California

Rashad McCants NBA Player, 3rd Annual Shoot For The Cure Breast Cancer Walk In Los Angeles, California

NBA Player Rashad McCants Son Of A Breast Cancer Survivor Brenda McCants On A Mission To Make A Difference And Bring Awareness To Brest Cancer Took To The Streets Of Los Angeles California Walikng With Cancer Survivors And They're Families

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) July 23, 2010

NBA player Rashad McCants gathers friends and celebrities to walk to help bring awareness to Breast Cancer in Los Angeles. McCants mother, Brenda McCants a Breast Cancer survivor is his world. “My mother’s survival is so important to me; I have to do all I can to show my love and support for her. She has always been there for me and now is the time for me to do the same for her, she has made tremendous sacrifices for my well being over the years,” says McCants.

On the court, McCants plays hard, loves to win, keeps his game face on, and looks pretty intimidating with his arms filled with tattoos. On the other hand off the court, Rashad is full of love and compassion; he’s soft-spoken, easy going and generous when it comes to helping others especially his mother. So it wasn’t difficult for him to make the decision to be at her bedside when she fell ill to breast cancer. “I believe most people would have made the same decisions I did, you only get one mother and my mother is a woman of love and support, we depend on each other.” continues McCants.

Realizing the high statistics of breast cancer victims, McCants knew he had to do something to help create awareness. He started Shoot for Cure Foundation which been around since 2007 this is his 3rd annual event. The Foundation’s mission is to help make a difference in the lives of people affected by Breast Cancer by bringing awareness of the disease, educating families of survivors, supporting walk/run events and raising money for research, cure and the affected families. McCants says, “Shoot for the Cure helps people to realize the importance of early detection and how it saves lives.”

When asked how he deals with his mother’s illness, McCants replies, “I take it one day at a time. I’m grateful for everyday that I can talk to my mom or see her. I’m in the gym every day when I’m not with my mother. I’m focused, I’m thankful for my health and I’m a strong believer that God won’t give us anything that we can’t handle. I love my mother so much because she taught me how to smile, how to be thankful, and how to appreciate life. She’s has always taught me that hard work pays off. When I was drafted to the NBA, she told me to be the best player that I could be. Even though she’s a strong woman, I realize that breast cancer is a disease that does not discriminate. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among African American women and more likely than all other women to die from the disease.”

For more information, go to: ShootForCureFoundation. org or Generation1Foundation. org